IPRONA - The Fruit Company
UNSERE ARBEIT TRÄGT FRÜCHTE - UND DAS SEIT 40 JAHREN
In vier Jahrzehnten Firmengeschichte haben wir uns als einer der erfolgreichsten Betriebe in der Fruchtverarbeitung weltweit etabliert. Wir haben neue Technologien entwickelt, innovative Produkte hergestellt und weltweit die Vertriebsaktivitäten erhöht, um unseren Kunden einwandfreie Produktsicherheit, beste Premiumqualität und ein breites Produktspektrum bieten zu können. Wir lieben Früchte in all seinen Farben und Formen. Daraus ergibt sich ein breites Produktsortiment:
- Konzentrate aus Beeren, Zitrusfrüchten und tropischen Früchten
- funktionelle Polyphenol-Extrakte europäischen Ursprungs
- maßgeschneiderte Getränkegrundstoffe
Standardisierte Qualität ist stets garantiert.
Das macht uns zu Ihrem Partner erster Wahl im Lebens- und Nahrungsergänzungsmittelbereich.
NEW PATENT FOR ElderCraft®
Black Elderberry extract inhibits the replication of SARS-CoV2 in vitro
A new study of the researchers at the University Erlangen has shown ElderCraft® Black Elderberry Extract has a strong antiviral effect against SARS-CoV-2. Encouraged by the findings, IPRONA has filed to internationally patent ElderCraft® for use in the prevention and treatment of COVID-19.mehr
The University of Erlangen, Institute for Virology under the direction of Prof. Schubert studied the effect of ElderCraft®, an extract made by IPRONA from Sambucus nigra, L. black elderberries (variety Haschberg) on the SARS-CoV-2 coronavirus that causes COVID-19. The tests found the extract inhibits the replication of the wildtype virus, as well as the variants of concern Alpha and Beta, at very low concentrations.
Ongoing, further studies will evaluate the efficacy versus other variants of concern and seek to identify the Mode of Action by using time of application studies. Interestingly, the proprietary production process IPT (IPRONA Polyphenol Technology) used to make ElderCraft® seems to capture the inhibitory properties more efficiently than standard concentration techniques.
IPT is an entirely mechanical, solvent-free separation and ultra-filtration process that IPRONA uses to extract an active blend of natural fruit anthocyanins, polysaccharides and berry micronutrients from elderberries grown in southeast Austria by a cooperative of 250 farmers.
While the current research is still ongoing, the use of ElderCraft® for the prevention and treatment of COVID-19 has been filed as an international patent application. The study results will be published in international journals over the course of the year, adding to the large volume of evidence of the positive effects of elderberry.
“It is fascinating to see that IPRONA`s elderberry extract ElderCraft® is able to inhibit the replication of SarsCov viruses even at very low concentrations. It has been known for a while that black elderberry is active against common influenza viruses, but this is the first time that an activity against the coronavirus SARS-CoV-2 and its variants of concern has been found. This opens the door for us and our partners to develop innovative Nutraceuticals as well as therapeutic products for the prevention and treatment of COVID-19” Stephan Plattner, Scientific Director of IPRONA, said.
The scientific studies build on centuries of use of black elderberry (Sambucus nigra L.) to treat flu and flu-like symptoms. In recent years, several human studies have confirmed the efficacy of black elderberry by showing a significant reduction in the duration and intensity of symptoms during influenza infections (1,2).
The most recent human clinical study showed that ElderCraft® is able to significantly reduce the duration and intensity of influenza infections in long-haul flight passengers (3). In vitro studies indicate direct inhibition of viral replication through the blockage of viral receptors and the inhibition of key enzymes involved in viral replication (4). Other in vitro studies show the immune system seems to be positively influenced by components such as the polysaccharides present in the fruit of black elderberry (5).
Interest in those effects has increased during the COVID-19 pandemic. Even though infection with SARS-CoV-2 induces mild flu-like symptoms in the majority of those affected, some patients develop a severe form of the disease, including a progressive pneumonia due to an overreacting immune system. Therapeutic options for patients with moderate-to-severe COVID-19 remain limited and escape variants represent an additional threat. Accordingly, the development of novel anti-viral treatment options is eagerly awaited.
1. Zakay-Rones Z, Thom E, Wollan T, Wadstein J. Randomized study of the efficacy and safety of oral elderberry extract in the treatment of influenza A and B virus infections. J Int Med Res. 2004;32(2):132-140. doi:10.1177/147323000403200205
2. Zakay-Rones Z, Varsano N, Zlotnik M, et al. Inhibition of Several Strains of Influenza Virus in Vitro and Reduction of Symptoms by an Elderberry Extract (Sambucus nigra L.) during an Outbreak of Influenza B Panama. J Altern Complement Med. 1995;1(4):361-369. doi:10.1089/acm.1995.1.361
3. Tiralongo E, Wee SS, Lea RA. Elderberry supplementation reduces cold duration and symptoms in air-travellers: A randomized, double-blind placebo-controlled clinical trial. Nutrients. 2016;8(4). doi:10.3390/nu8040182
4. Swaminathan K, Müller P, Downard KM. Substituent effects on the binding of natural product anthocyanidin inhibitors to influenza neuraminidase with mass spectrometry. Anal Chim Acta. 2014;828:61-69. doi:10.1016/j.aca.2014.04.021
5. Kinoshita E, Hayashi K, Katayama H, Hayashi T, Obata A. Anti-influenza virus effects of elderberry juice and its fractions. Biosci Biotechnol Biochem. 2012;76(9):1633-1638. doi:10.1271/bbb.120112
If you want to learn more about ElderCraft®, don’t hesitate to contact us.
IPRONA partners with
Concentrates & Extracts
In vivo study
Get to know more about it!
Check it out!
what consumers want
demand for elderberry
Advantages & application
of puree concentrates
We proudly present
IPRONA Instant Powders
Check it out!
40 Years of IPRONA
Flavouring organic products EU Reg.2018/848
Unique on the market!
We proudly present
Not all elderberries
are the same
on Nutra Ingredients
The key element of your immunity-boosting product
in Lana, Südtirol, Italien
erfolgreich in über 60 Ländern
von kundenspezifischen Produkten
Technologien zur schonenden Fruchtverarbeitung